header pic

header pic

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Lets Talk Contact Lenses

Wearing spectacles are something that I pretty much hate. Not only because they don't make me look good, they are also troublesome when you need to move a lot. I have worn various brands of contact lenses both soft lenses and coloured lenses/circle lenses since I started wearing them more than 5 years ago.

This post will be on monthly disposable contact lens. Hopefully the information will be useful to some of you out there especially newbies to contact lenses.

Bausch & Lomb SofLens 59
This is a the most common monthly disposable contact lens that is easily found in almost all optical stores in Malaysia. Priced at around RM60++ per box, it is very affordable. There are 6  pieces of contact lenses in a box. The material of this contact lens is Hilifilcon B.


Air Optix Aqua
This is the monthly disposable silicon hydrogel contact lens from Air Optix which can be found in some optical stores. It comes in 3 pieces of lenses in box and sold around RM60++ as well.


CooperVision Biofinity
Another silicon hydrogel contact lens but not as commonly found as Air Optix. There are 6 contact lenses in a box and priced at around RM150. I found out about this contact lens from a optical store in One Utama when the optician highly recommended this to me. 


Now that you got a clearer idea of these three contact lenses, lets get into the comparisons.

Comfort
Biofinity > Air Optix Aqua > SofLens

For Biofinity, I have worn it for nearly 16 hours and my eyes are still very comfortable. My eyes  don't feel tired at all after such long hours and still remained moist till the end. The same cannot be said about SofLens as my eyes do feel tired after 8 hours. As for Air Optix Aqua, it can last me around 12 hours before my eyes feel a little dry.

Biofinity is the clear winner here for long hours of wearing. 

Ease of Wearing
Air Optix Aqua > SofLens > Biofinity

I can easily pop in my Air Optix contact lens in less than 2 seconds all the time. It is also easy to take them off. I don't know why but the SofLens is a harder to take off. As for Biofinity, it is really flimsy! The first time I tried to wear them, the whole lens just would not stay in shape on the tip of my finger! I guess it is because they are really thin? However, I  did managed to get the hang of handling the lenses after a few days of wearing them. Now and then I still find the lenses a little harder  to put on. Or maybe I am just a little noob in handling contact lenses?

Durability
SofLens > Biofinity > Air Optix Aqua

It is really annoying to me that what supposed to be a monthly contact lens to get damaged just 2 weeks of wearing. Yes, 2 weeks! This has happened to me many times with my Air Optix  Aqua. This is why they are the less durable out of the three. SofLens and Biofinity usually stays well throughout the whole 30 days period. There was once that my Biofinity contact lens spoil before a whole 30 days has gone pass. Then again, Biofinity is thinner than SofLens so of course you need to be extra careful.

Air Optix Aqua is less durable than the other two. However, one of my optician actually told me that this may be due to the lens solution that I am using which is Renu by Bausch & Lomb. She said that Air Optix users should buy OptiFree lens solution which is manufactured by the same company, Alcon


Affordability
SofLens > Air Optix Aqua > Biofinity

If you want to buy contact lenses, do go to shopping malls and scout around. Some optical stores will have promotions such as buy 3 free 1 or buy 4 free 1. I usually buy mine from optical stores in One Utama. Most of them runs promotion on contact lenses around the year. So definitely buy from those having promotion! 

So which is suitable for you? I would suggest SofLens for those who only wear their contact lenses for less than 8 hours and do not have dry eyes easily. After all, what is the point of buying the more expensive ones if you are wearing it for a short period of time? For those who wears their contacts for more than 8 hours, definitely get the Biofinity if you can find them. They are really the most comfortable  contact lens out there. These are my opinion but everybody is different. So do get what suits you the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment