header pic

header pic

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Ipoh Street Food : Sun Seng Fatt, Dai Shu Geok, Tuck Kee

Every year I would visit Ipoh without fail during Chinese New Year. This gives me an opportunity to explore the food around town which I truly enjoy. But going back during the festive seasons also means that many places will be closed. Anyway I still managed to try out a few famous hawker/street food. For the first  time ever unlike the previous years, we skipped going to the ever crowded dim sum places for breakfast and went for a good old bowl of curry noodles instead. For another morning, we head for yong tau fu and assam laksa and we stopped by for some hor fun for supper one night.


My initial plan was to head to Nam Chau or Xin Quan Fang (also know as Ma Ta Liu Curry Mee) for the dry curry noodles however both were closed even on the third morning of Chinese New Year. That lead us to Sun Seng Fatt located just on the opposite street of Nam Chau for their curry noodles. For the past few years, me and my mother have been going to our  favourite dry curry noodle place, Yee Fatt but decided that we should try others as well.

Anyway, we ordered a curry soup noodles and a dry curry noodles. Both bowls were mee hoon and hor fun, our favourite combination. Since every table is occupied, we did expect to wait for quite a while for the food to arrive but I would say the waiting time is not too long.


So here we have a bowl of curry soup noodles and a plate of dry curry noodles after around 10 minutes wait. Each bowl is priced at  RM7. The very first impression is that portion could be bigger especially for the price. Big eaters, this will definitely not fill your belly up even half. 

Curry Soup Noodles (RM7)

Dry Curry Noodles (RM7)


When the noodles were served, the smell of the curry immediately got into my nose and I was eager to try. The wet curry version was okay but the dry curry is definitely something you do not want to miss. I love how the dry curry coats every strand of noodles on my plate. Does it match up to my favourite Yee Fatt? Maybe not as Yee Fatt's dry curry has a richer taste which I prefer. Nevertheless, their dry curry is still a very tough contender in the dry curry scene here in Ipoh .


Sun Seng Fatt Curry House
32, Jalan Market.
31650 Ipoh
Perak.
+60 16-561 5176
The next morning, we tried our luck with Nam Chau and Xin Chuan Fang again. Disappointed, we head to Dai Shu Geok instead. I really appreciate how places are so close to each other here in Ipoh and it literally just takes you minutes to your next destination. Not to mention, traffic here is really smooth as well. 


Do note that there are a few stalls here under the big tree and the stall to look out for is Zhong Kei. A tip for you, find a table and remember the number before heading over to order your food. 


Come over to these containers and pick up whatever yong tau foo that you like. After that, you will have to tell them what noodles do you want. Do give your orders clearly. During that morning, a  man was arguing with the girl about his order and she insisted that he made a mistake when ordering. Not a nice way to start your meal huh? 


Notice the round piece of yong tau foo? That is the turnip (sah kok). Do grab as many as you can because it is really delicious. You may just forgo the rest of the yong fau foo as I personally find the others to be just very ordinary. The brinjal which is always my favourite item at yong tau foo place really disappointed me. It was way under cooked. I actually wanted to grab a few more turnips after my meal just to find out that they were sold out.


Their assam laksa may look like a small bowl but it definitely will fill you up along with the yong fau foo. I love how sweet but sour the assam laksa is at the same time. Quite a good bowl of asam laksa here surprisingly.

Zhong Kei @ Dai Shu Geok 
652, Jalan King
Pasir Pinji
31650 Ipoh 
Perak
+60 12-524 5408
8.30 am - 5.30 pm

On the last night here in Ipoh, I just felt like having hor fun so Tuck Kee it is for supper. Going into the area is quite a hassle as there was a pasar malam there that night. The Chinese New Year crowd made the place even more congested. Luckily, we managed to find a parking spot quite quickly. Tuck Kee is just a few doors away from the ever famous Lou Wong. 


Their signboard in Chinese wordings pretty much states everything they serve here.


Their signature dishes here which I do plan to come back here and try out the rest on my next trip to Ipoh. Once seated, you will be given a piece of paper for you to tick and write out what you want to order. Their noodles come in portions of small, medium and big. 


Since they are famous for their Wat Tan Hor, we had to order one. The hor fun is smooth just as expected and it is really one of the best wat tan hor I have ever had.


Just when I thought nothing could get any better, this plate of Yu Gong Hor just made my taste buds all dancing for joy. After mixing up the egg into the noodles, I immediately scoop some into my bowl. This is the BEST yuet gwong hor ever. This a a plate of yu gong hor that is full of wok hei. I could not find any fault in this plate of noodles and just wanted more and more.

We also takeaway the Baby Octopus in Soy Sauce which we enjoyed dearly. Another dish that you have to order here. Between the wat tan hor and yu gong hor, my favourite will be the latter. 

Tuck Kee
61, Jalan Yau Tet Shin
30300 Ipoh
Perak
+605 2537513


No comments:

Post a Comment